In this lesson, we examine twisting poses as a category, and ways to apply this knowledge in teaching.
Become proficient in the nature and effects of twisting poses, and considerations for wisely teaching and sequencing them.
Define spinal twisting, explain why we practice twists, and describe types of twists and examples for each. List contraindications and describe general physical and energetic effects of twists. Explain why twisting is one of the major culprits in sacroiliac (SI) joint pain and how experts recommend practicing twists in order to keep SI joints safe. Learn the conditions under which it’s advisable to practice only gentle twisting and explain why we keep the spine long while twisting. Describe breath-related teachings to accompany twisting practice and common tendencies for over- and under-working parts of the spine during twists. Describe sequencing considerations and provide a list of twisting poses.
Questions Answered Here
- What is spinal twisting and why do we practice twists?
- Describe five types of twists and examples for each.
- What are the general physical effects of twists? Energetic effects?
- For what conditions are twists contraindicated?
- Why is twisting one of the major culprits in sacroiliac (SI) joint pain?
- How do experts recommend practicing twists in order to keep SI joints safe?
- Under what conditions is it advisable to practice only gentle twisting?
- For what reasons do we keep the spine long while twisting?
- Describe breath-related teachings to accompany twisting practice.
- Describe common tendencies for over- and under-working parts of the spine during twists.
- How can you sequence to prepare for twists?
- How might you counter a strong twisting sequence?
- Name up to 29 (!) twisting poses.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.