In this lesson, we examine balancing poses as a category, and ways to apply this knowledge in teaching.
Become proficient in the nature and effects of balancing poses, and considerations for wisely teaching and sequencing them.
Explain why we practice balance poses. Describe five types of balance poses and give examples for each. Provide the general physical effects and energetic effects of balance poses. Name three essentials to the practice of balancing. Define drishti and explain why it helps in balancing. Provide teaching tips to help students manage their thoughts and attitude around balancing practice and provide options for a student having trouble balancing. Describe ways to add challenge to a balancing practice and general considerations related to sequencing balancing poses. Provide a list of poses that may serve as alternatives or preparation for arm balancing; a list of arm balancing poses; and a list of other balancing poses.
Questions Answered Here
- Why do we practice balance poses?
- Describe five types of balance poses and provide examples for each.
- What are the general physical effects of balance poses? Energetic effects?
- Name three essentials to the practice of balancing.
- What is drishti and why does it help in balancing?
- Aside from drishti, what else can support focus and attention during balance practice.
- Describe some teaching tips to help students manage their thoughts and attitude around balancing practice.
- If a student has trouble balancing, what are some options?
- Describe up to five ways to add challenge to a balancing practice.
- Describe general considerations related to sequencing balancing poses.
- How can you sequence to prepare for balance poses?
- What poses may serve as alternatives or preparation for arm balancing?
- Name 20 or more arm balancing poses plus 20 other balancing poses.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.