In this lesson, we examine core strengthening poses as a category, and ways to apply this knowledge in teaching.
Become proficient in the function and benefits of core strengthening poses, effective cueing for core engagement, and ways to promote a balanced approach to core health.
Describe how true core strengthening differs from the way in which popular culture promotes strong abdominals. Explain benefits associated with healthy core strengthening and issues related to weak abdominals. Describe potential problems with the phrase, “engage your core” and other ways to cue core engagement. Provide examples of poses that use the abdominals as stabilizers and explain the type of movement needed to bring balance after core strengthening work. Give specific reasons why sit-ups and crunches are not the optimal core strengthening exercise for many people.
Questions Answered Here
- How is true core strengthening different from how popular culture promotes strong abdominals?
- What benefits are associated with healthy core strengthening?
- How do many people compensate for weak abdominals?
- How might a weak transversus abdominis (TA) impact the psoas in some core work?
- What potential emotional ramifications might there be for some students engaged in core work?
- Describe potential problems with how students may respond to the phrase, “engage your core.”
- A balanced approach to core health includes utilizing the abdominals as stabilizers (not prime movers). What are some examples of poses that use the abdominals as stabilizers?
- For what specific reasons are sit-ups and crunches not the optimal core strengthening exercise for many people?
- Give examples of ways to cue core engagement.
- What type of movement is needed to bring balance after core strengthening work?
- Name 60 (!) or more core-strengthening poses.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.