In this lesson, we examine inversion poses as a category, and ways to apply this knowledge in teaching.
Become proficient in the nature and effects of inversion poses, and considerations for wisely teaching and sequencing them.
Explain what is meant by yoga inversions and the terms “classic inversions,” “full inversions” and “mild inversions.” Give examples of poses that are both arm balances and inversions and provide various names that have the same meaning as “mild inversions.” Explain what is meant by “gentle” or “restorative” inversions. Provide conditions for which inversions of any type are contraindicated and describe important cautions related to inversions in general. Individual inversion poses will each have their own contraindications and cautions; provide an example of a caution for a specific inversion pose. For cases when inversions are not contraindicated but poses such as Headstand and Forearm Balance are not appropriate, provide examples of safer alternatives. Describe the general physical effects and energetic effects of inversions, and the yoga philosophy perspective regarding inversions and amrita. Provide sequencing considerations for inversions and a list of poses
Questions Answered Here
- What are yoga inversions?
- What is meant by the term, “classic inversions?”
- Define “full inversions” and give examples.
- Give examples of poses that are both arm balances and inversions.
- What are some various names that mean the same as “mild inversions?’
- Define”mild inversions” and give examples.
- What is meant by “gentle” or “restorative” inversions?
- For what type of general conditions are inversions of any type contraindicated?
- Describe important cautions related to inversions in general.
- Individual inversion poses will each have their own contraindications and cautions. What is an example of a caution for a specific inversion pose?
- When inversions are not contraindicated but poses such as Headstand and Forearm Balance are not appropriate, what may be safer alternatives?
- What are the general physical effects of inversions?
- What are the energetic effects?
- What is the yoga philosophy perspective regarding inversions and amrita?
- What are some sequencing considerations when teaching inversions?
- Name up to 20 poses that are inversions.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.