In this lesson, we lay a foundation for understanding mantras and their role in yoga.
Become aware of the central role and importance of mantras in yoga practice.
Define mantra and translate its roots. Expand on Dr. David Frawley’s statement that mantras are a “kind of asana for the mind.” Describe potential effects of mantra practice. Explain how Swami Sivananda Radha explains the difference between mantra and prayer. Name and describe three broad categories of chanting. Describe how the power of the goddess Saraswati is said to relate to mantra.
Questions Answered Here
- What is a mantra?
- What is Mantra Yoga?
- Translate “mantra” and its roots.
- What are some intentions or effects of mantra practice?
- How does Swami Sivananda Radha explain the difference between mantra and prayer?
- What are three broad categories of chanting? Describe them.
- How is the power of Saraswati said to relate to mantra?
Get Inspired: 2-Minute Message
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.