In this lesson, we introduce sciatica and explore considerations for supporting students who are experiencing sciatic pain.
Become familiar with sciatica and teaching considerations for supporting students in relieving or accommodating sciatic pain.
Define sciatica. Describe the pathway of the sciatic nerves and compare them to other nerves in the body. Provide potential symptoms of sciatica and explain how pain from sciatica is different from SI joint pain. Describe common causes of sciatic pain, cautions to consider and some potential approaches to addressing it. List types of poses that are often avoided in the case of sciatica and poses that might help.
Questions Answered Here
- What is sciatica?
- How do sciatic nerves compare to other nerves in the body?
- What is the pathway of the sciatic nerves?
- What are some potential symptoms of sciatica?
- How is pain from sciatica different from SI joint pain?
- Sciatic pains are known to vary. Describe some of the variations.
- Describe two common causes of sciatic pain.
- What are some cautions to consider?
- What are some potential approaches to addressing sciatic pain?
- What types of poses are often avoided in the case of sciatica?
- What poses might help?
- Where can you find sample sequences for addressing sciatica?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.