In this lesson, we explore the causes and manifestations of scoliosis and how yoga may help.
Be knowledgeable about the various causes and manifestations of scoliosis and be prepared to adapt yoga tools to support students.
Define scoliosis, explain the terminology used to describe spinal curves in cases of scoliosis and name the two primary categories of scoliosis. Describe the prevalence of scoliosis and the standard medical treatment. Describe structural scoliosis and functional scoliosis and provide an observation technique to determine whether a curve is due to functional or structural causes. Describe four curve patterns. Explain how yoga might support people with scoliosis and cite research that demonstrates yoga’s impact on people with scoliosis. Provide foundational practice considerations and specific practices that may help, plus practice cautions. Provide a sequencing approach for students with scoliosis and sample sequences.
Questions Answered Here
- Define scoliosis.
- Explain the terminology used to describe spinal curves in cases of scoliosis.
- What are the two primary categories of scoliosis?
- How prevalent is scoliosis?
- What is the standard medical treatment for scoliosis.
- Describe structural scoliosis.
- Describe functional scoliosis.
- What observation technique is used to determine whether a curve is due to functional or structural causes?
- Describe four curve patterns.
- How might yoga support people with scoliosis?
- Cite research that demonstrates yoga’s impact on people with scoliosis.
- Provide foundational practice considerations.
- Describe specific practices that may help.
- Describe practice cautions.
- Provide a sequencing approach for students with scoliosis.
- Provide sample sequences.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.