In this lesson, we move beyond the foundations of basic breath training and explore more technical practices.
Understand the differences between clavicular, thoracic and diaphragmatic breathing and become knowledgeable on expert teachings related to conscious exhalation and diaphragmatic rib cage breathing.
Describe the reason a wise teacher may NOT teach the techniques presented here. Define clavicular breathing and the conditions under which it’s typically present. Define thoracic breathing and explain its effects. Explain what is typically meant by the term “yogic breathing.” Give signs of improper breathing. Explain the benefits of a conscious exhalation. Describe the yogic breathing technique for consciously exhaling and share how experts explain it. Describe the more advanced technique of diaphragmatic rib cage breathing, how it is different from ineffective chest breathing and why the two might be confused.
Questions Answered Here
- For what reasons might a wise teacher NOT teach the techniques presented here?
- Define clavicular breathing and why it’s not ideal. Explain the conditions under which it’s typically present.
- Define thoracic breathing and explain its effects.
- What is typically meant by the term “yogic breathing”?
- What are signs of improper breathing?
- Explain the benefits of a conscious exhalation.
- Explain the benefits of “breathing into the back body.”
- What is the yogic breathing technique for consciously exhaling? How do experts Gary Kraftsow and Mukunda Stiles explain it?
- What do experts Erich Schiffmann and B.K.S. Iyengar have to say on the topic of yogic breathing?
- How is the more advanced technique of diaphragmatic rib cage breathing different from ineffective chest breathing? Why might the two be confused?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.