In this lesson, we introduce yoga nidra.
Become knowledgeable about the theory, intent, research, and overall approach of yoga nidra.
Describe yoga nidra. Explain, in a technical sense, how yoga nidra is different from more common states of relaxation. Describe two different perspectives of yoga nidra and list 12 stages in the full process. Explain what iRest is and why it was developed. Describe research studies documenting the effects of yoga nidra and list reported benefits of the practice. Note how yoga nidra and nyasa might be related and how yoga nidra is associated with Patanjali Yoga. Describe how the technique differs from persuasion, and its purpose and effect. Provide the theory or intent behind these elements of the technique: rotating consciousness throughout the body, opposite sensations and guided imagery.
Questions Answered Here
- Translate the Sanskrit phrase, “yoga nidra.”
- What is yoga nidra?
- In a technical sense, how is yoga nidra different from more common states of relaxation?
- Explain these two different perspectives of yoga nidra: 1) a state “between waking and sleeping” and 2) conscious sleep.
- List 12 stages in the full process of yoga nidra.
- What is iRest and why was it developed?
- Describe research studies documenting the effects of yoga nidra.
- List reported effects / benefits of yoga nidra.
- How might yoga nidra and nyasa be related?
- Yoga nidra is associated with which aspects of Patanjali Yoga?
- Does the practice rely upon suggestion or persuasion by a teacher?
- What is the theory or intent behind rotating consciousness throughout the body?
- Describe a theory for the use of opposite sensations.
- For what purpose is guided imagery used in yoga nidra?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.