In this lesson, we explore the complexity of pain.
Gain an understanding of the complexity of pain and how to use this knowledge when teaching asana.
Define pain and the significance of the definition. Describe how acute and chronic pain are different. Explain negativity bias and its impact. Describe healthy sensation in asana and provide a consideration related to emotional release. Define compression. Describe signs of unhealthy sensation in yoga asana. Give potential reasons a student may be unable to examine her experience of sensation and/or to communicate it. Explain what can influence pain perception and why a student might seek pain.
Questions Answered Here
- Define pain and important points that we can take from the definition.
- Aside from the length of time they are experienced, how are acute and chronic pain different?
- What is negativity bias and how does it impact our experience of pain?
- How might you describe healthy sensation in asana?
- In addition to physical sensation, yoga practice may prompt memories or emotions. What is a consideration related to emotional release and healthy sensation?
- What is compression?
- What are some considerations related to compression in asana?
- What are signs of unhealthy sensation in yoga asana?
- For what potential reasons may a student be unable to examine her experience of sensation and/or to communicate it?
- What can influence pain perception?
- Why might students seek pain?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.