In this lesson, we explore the complex subject of hip pain.
Learn potential causes of hip pain and teaching considerations for supporting students in preventing, relieving or accommodating hip pain.
Describe factors that can lead to hip pain, including specific musculoskeletal conditions and structural issues. Explain why focusing on the glutes may help to prevent or relieve hip pain. Note the floor positions that may work best when practicing yoga or exercise and why it’s important to balance the tone of the adductors and gluteus medius. Describe an action that students can undertake to help bring about that balance and a yoga tool that can help. Explain a potential factor in the experience of pain after hip stretching and what you should do if you encounter a student who has had hip replacement surgery.
Questions Answered Here
- Name four factors that can lead to hip pain.
- Many hip conditions are related to poor functional integration between the lumbar spine pelvis and legs. More specifically, what musculoskeletal conditions may lead to hip problems?
- Provide examples of cumulative stress.
- What are some examples of structural issues?
- Why might focusing on the glutes help to prevent or relieve hip pain?
- For students with hip pain, what floor positions may work best when practicing yoga or exercise?
- Why is it important to balance the tone of the adductors and gluteus medius?
- What student action will help to bring about that balance?
- What yoga tool can help?
- What might be a factor in the experience of pain after hip stretching?
- What should you do if you encounter a student who has had hip replacement surgery?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.