In this lesson, we apply knowledge of pain and sensation, nervous system anatomy, and Hatha Yoga tools to inform the approach and choice of tools for students experiencing pain.
Learn how to apply knowledge of anatomy, physiology and yoga tools to work effectively with students experiencing pain, and to wisely choose tools to support them.
Note some initial considerations related to working with pain in yoga. Describe how Hatha Yoga can help to improve the ability to interpret and evaluate sensation and how to use the breath as a guide in evaluating sensation. Note the vital empowering awareness that students can develop from acquiring greater skill in evaluating sensation. Provide a way that students experiencing a high pain level might begin practice and what we want to identify and release when there is pain. Note which asanas should be approached with caution or avoided and why it’s recommended to practice in a way that brings relaxation and nervous system balance. Describe how to approach movement when experiencing pain and an expert suggestion related to stretching and strengthening.
Questions Answered Here
- What are three initial considerations related to working with pain in yoga?
- How can Hatha Yoga help to improve the ability to interpret and evaluate sensation?
- Describe how to use the breath as a guide in evaluating sensation.
- What vital empowering awareness can students develop from acquiring greater skill in evaluating sensation?
- When pain is high, how might the student begin practice?
- When experiencing pain, what do we want to identify in order to release?
- Which asanas should be approached with caution or avoided?
- Why is it recommended to practice in a way that brings relaxation and nervous system balance?
- Describe how to approach movement when experiencing pain.
- What does expert Mukunda Stiles suggest regarding stretching and strengthening when experiencing pain?
- What tools are effective at addressing pain?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.