In this lesson, we lay the foundation for making wise decisions regarding assistance to an individual student (in contrast to the whole class).
Establish a foundation for decision-making and proficient techniques for assisting an individual student, whether verbally, energetically or physically.
Define assisting and adjusting and reasons a teacher may choose to assist or adjust a student. Give examples of inappropriate reasons to adjust a student and describe students for whom adjusting is unlikely to be safe or appropriate. Explain the types of knowledge and experience a teacher must have to be properly prepared to safely adjust a student and considerations made in the moment to evaluate whether an assist is called for. Explain considerations for giving one-on-one verbal instruction and how an adjustment may affect a student’s energy. When offering a physical adjustment, describe how to move into a student’s space, describe physical safety considerations when giving adjustments and explain the focus when adjusting a very flexible student.
Questions Answered Here
- How might you define assisting and adjusting?
- For what reasons might a teacher choose to assist or adjust a student?
- What are some examples of inappropriate reasons to adjust a student?
- Describe students for whom adjusting is unlikely to be safe or appropriate.
- What knowledge and experience must a teacher have to be properly prepared to safely adjust a student?
- What considerations are made in the moment to evaluate whether an assist is called for?
- What are two general ways you might give verbal assists?
- Describe some considerations when giving one-on-one verbal instruction?
- What is energy?
- How is Hatha Yoga said to affect the”energy body?”
- How might an adjustment affect a student’s energy?
- When offering a physical adjustment, describe how to move into a student’s space.
- Describe physical safety considerations when giving adjustments.
- What should be the focus when adjusting a very flexible student?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.