In this lesson, we introduce the use of contraindications and cautions for various injuries and conditions and choosing pose alternatives.
Learn the importance of being aware of and utilizing contraindications and cautions and understand how to wisely choose alternatives.
Define contraindications and explain how they are different from cautions. Using the condition of sacroiliac (SI) joint pain, give an example of a contraindicated pose and a pose that is advised to be practiced with caution. Understand why knowing contraindications for key conditions may not be enough information to guide a student who has a particular condition. Provide considerations for choosing alternatives.
Questions Answered Here
- What are contraindications? How are they different from cautions?
- Using the condition of sacroiliac (SI) joint pain, give an example of a contraindicated pose and a pose that is advised to be practiced with caution.
- If you are aware of the contraindications for key conditions, is that enough to guide a student who has a particular condition?
- How might you go about choosing an alternative pose suggestion for a student who is experiencing a condition that makes a particular pose contraindicated?
- It’s practically impossible to remember contraindications for every possible condition a student may be experiencing. How, then, can you use knowledge of contraindications in class?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.