In this lesson, we introduce the physiology of the respiratory system.
Gain an understanding of the foundational physiology of the respiratory system.
Define breathing and respiration. Explain what causes breathing and its purpose. Describe the contents of the thoracic and abdominal cavities and how they change during breathing. Understand why lungs cannot be moved directly at will and the principal muscle involved in breathing. Describe the diaphragm and the movement of the diaphragm during relaxed breathing. Explain problems that a person may have with their diaphragm.
Questions Answered Here
- What is breathing and what is the purpose of breathing?
- What is respiration?
- What causes breathing?
- What are the contents of the thoracic and abdominal cavities?
- How do the thoracic and abdominal cavities change during breathing?
- Why can’t lungs be moved directly at will?
- What is the principal muscle involved in breathing?
- Describe the diaphragm.
- Describe the movement of the diaphragm during relaxed breathing.
- What problems can a person have with their diaphragm and what is the effect?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.