In this lesson, we introduce the physiology of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system activation.
Understand the functioning of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, and the workings of the Stress Response, Fight or Flight Response and Relaxation Response.
Explain how the nervous system responds when experiencing stress and give examples of positive triggers for the Stress Response. Describe what happens when stress is perceived to be excessive or threatening. Give examples of conditions that activate the Fight or Flight Response. Explain how the Fight or Flight Response is helpful and under what circumstance it’s harmful. Describe the Relaxation Response and practices that have been shown to initiate it.
Questions Answered Here
- What part of the nervous system is activated when experiencing stress?
- What happens when stress is perceived to be excessive or threatening?
- What happens when the stress response is activated?
- Give examples of positive triggers for the Stress Response.
- Under what conditions are the Fight or Flight Response activated, and what happens?
- How is the Fight or Flight Response helpful? Under what circumstance is it harmful?
- What is the Relaxation Response?
- What practices have been shown to initiate the Relaxation Response?
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.