In this lesson, we apply knowledge of core anatomy to teaching.
Become proficient in choosing practices and verbalizing teachings to promote a balanced, healthy core.
Describe key teachings that can help students to safely and effectively develop a healthy core. Explain how tightness in the core can adversely affect breathing and describe the potential negative effects of excessive abdominal exercises on spinal curves. Define stabilizers and prime movers and explain why this is important when choosing core strengthening exercises. Describe ways to effectively use such verbiage as “abdomen,” “belly,” and “core.”
Questions Answered Here
- Summarize a few teachings that are valuable in helping students to optimize their core health?
- How can you go about helping students to gain the necessary inner awareness of their core musculature?
- A key teaching is that core muscles require a balance of strength and flexibility. Describe the potential adverse effects of excessive tightness in the core.
- What is meant by stabilizers and prime movers? Why is this important when choosing core strengthening exercises?
- A key factor in sustained core health is bringing awareness to movement patterns. Expand on this teaching.
- What are some considerations that can help to inform your choice of practices and teachings?
- What is the anatomical meaning of abdomen?
- Describe ways to use such verbiage as “abdomen,” “belly,” and “core” effectively in teaching.
Get Inspired: 2-Minute Message
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.