Utkatasana (Chair / Fierce / Powerful Pose) – Overview
- Features: Utkatasana (Chair Pose), and related poses such as Parivrtta Utkatasana (Revolved Chair Pose), Eka Pada Utkatasana (One Legged Chair) and Padangustha Padma Utkatasana (Half Lotus Toe Balance)
- Objective: Become knowledgeable about the pose and review detailed teaching considerations.
- Description: Explain the Sanskrit naming; contraindications and cautions; associated benefits and typical effects; instructions and cues for setting up and practicing the pose; variations to meet particular intentions and needs; and more teaching considerations.
“utkata” = powerful, fierce
Intense Powerful Pose or Fierce Pose
Also known as: Chair Pose
Revolved Chair Pose
Eka Pada Utkatasana
One Legged Chair Pose
Padangustha Padma Utkatasana
Half Lotus Toe Balance
Dharma Mittra calls this Ardha Prapadasana (Half Bound Tiptoe Pose)
See Variations in menu above for more about this pose
Heart of Poses
- One Legged Versions: Hip Stretch
- Revolved Version: Twist
Much More in this Digest
- Asana Digests are precisely organized so that you can quickly get what you need. Please select from the menu above.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.