Ustrasana (Camel Pose) – Overview
- Features: Ustrasana (Camel Pose), and related poses such as Laghu Vajrasana (Little Thunderbolt)
- Objective: Become knowledgeable about the pose and review detailed teaching considerations.
- Description: Explain the Sanskrit naming; contraindications and cautions; associated benefits and typical effects; instructions and cues for setting up and practicing the pose; variations to meet particular intentions and needs; and more teaching considerations.
“ustra” = camel
Heart of Pose
- Backbend / Chest Opener
- Usually categorized as an intermediate pose, not easy for many students
- Considered preparation for more strenuous backbends
- Requires strong work in lower body
- See Cautions for low back, neck, SI Joints
Much More in this Digest
Asana Digests are precisely organized so that you can quickly get what you need. Please select from the menu above.
To view this page and thousands more, we invite you to join Yoga Teacher Central, serving teachers since 2012.
You'll get instant access to a massive, organized library of practical and time-tested lessons, plans, and support for yoga teachers and trainers.
The entire site is member-supported and ad-free.