Urdhva Hastasana (Upward Salute) & Standing Backbends – Overview
- Urdhva Hastasana (Upward Salute)
- Standing Backbends
Sanskrit & Naming
- Urdhva Hastasana
- Hasta Uttanasana
Also known as: Raised Arms Pose
- Extended Tadasana
Extended Mountain Pose
- In Urdhva Hastasana, the spine is lengthened up.
- Urdvha Hastasana may also be called Talasana (Palm Tree Pose).
- Names for a Standing Backbend include Hasta Uttanasana (Raised Hands Pose), Extended Tadasana (Extended Mountain Pose) and Anuvittasana (anuvitta = found, obtained).
- When Anuvittasana is used, it is usually “translated” simply as Standing Backbend.
- Most sources use a Standing Backbend in the Classical (Lunge) Salute and Urdhva Hastasana in Surya Namaskar A. Joseph and Lilian LePage clearly use this approach in Yoga Teachers’ Toolbox 2005 pgs 11-12 (referring to the Standing Backbend as Extended Tadasana). link
- Sources that teach Surya Namaskar with Urdhva Hastasana include:
David Swenson, Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual 1999 p 17 (Surya Namaskar A – Swenson does not call the pose by name but simply demonstrates it—with no backbend.) link
Silva Mehta, Yoga: The Iyengar Way 2009 pgs 146-147 (Surya Namaskar A) link
Martin Kirk & Brooke Boon, Hatha Yoga Illustrated 2006 pgs 210-211 (Both Surya Namaskar A and Classical Sun Salute) link
Beryl Bender Birch, Power Yoga 1995 pgs 63-71 (Urdhva Hastasana with palms together & gaze up, Surya Namaskar A) link
- Sources that teach Surya Namaskar with a Standing Backbend include:
Swami Satyananda Saraswati, Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha 2008 pgs 162-174 (Classical Sun Salute) link
Dharma Mittra, Asanas: 608 Yoga Poses 2003 pgs 24-35 (Classical Sun Salute) link
- Stretches abdomen
- Stretches shoulders & armpits
- Expands lungs
Much More in this Digest
- Please select from the menu above.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.