Tadasana (Mountain Pose) – Overview
- Features: Tadasana (Mountain), and related poses such as Pranamasana (Prayer), Samasthiti (Equal Standing) and Eka Pada Tadasana (One Legged Mountain)
- Objective: Become knowledgeable about the pose and review detailed teaching considerations.
- Description: Explain the Sanskrit naming; contraindications and cautions; associated benefits and typical effects; instructions and cues for setting up and practicing the pose; variations to meet particular intentions and needs; and more teaching considerations.
“tada” = mountain
“sama” = same, even or equal
sthiti = state, condition or stability
Samasthiti & Tadasana are the Same
Samasthiti (Equal Standing) is a command to attention, to stand in balanced stillness. It is the practice of standing with equal, steady, and still attention. Tadasana (Mountain Pose) is the posture that invokes Samasthiti. These poses are not different. They are the same. – Maty Ezraty, Yoga Journal, The Difference Between “Tadasana” and “Samasthiti” link
* * *
In Sanskrit, the command for attention is sama-sthiti… Samasthiti means “standing still and straight.” Throughout the practice [of Surya Namaskar] , there will continually be the command of sama-sthiti. This means to return to Mountain Posture or attention position. – Beryl Bender Birch, Power Yoga 1995 p 63 link
- Often referred to as the most basic, foundational and fundamental pose; the blueprint or building block from which other poses are based
- “This pose, and coming back to this stillness after other poses, is one of the very best ways of becoming acquainted with stillness.” (Erich Schiffman, Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness 1996 p 94) link
Much More in this Digest
Asana Digests are precisely organized so that you can quickly get what you need. Please select from the menu above.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.