Supta Virasana (Reclined Hero) – Overview
- Features: Supta Virasana (Reclined Hero), and related poses such as Supta Vajrasana (Reclined Thunderbolt)
- Objective: Become knowledgeable about the pose and review detailed teaching considerations.
- Description: Explain the Sanskrit naming; contraindications and cautions; associated benefits and typical effects; instructions and cues for setting up and practicing the pose; variations to meet particular intentions and needs; and more teaching considerations.
“supta” = lying down, reclining
“vira” = hero, chief
Reclined Hero Pose
In Bikram Hot Yoga, called Fixed Firm Pose
Reclined Thunderbolt Pose
Heart of Pose
- Quad / Hip Flexor Stretch
- Considered an intermediate pose that shouldn’t be attempted if student not comfortable in Virasana
- See Cautions in menu above for knees and other concerns plus alternatives
Much More in this Digest
Asana Digests are precisely organized so that you can quickly get what you need. Please select from the menu above.
To view this page and thousands more, we invite you to join Yoga Teacher Central, serving teachers since 2012.
You'll get instant access to a massive, organized library of practical and time-tested lessons, plans, and support for yoga teachers and trainers.
The entire site is member-supported and ad-free.