Bhujangasana & Salabhasana (Cobra, Locust, Sphinx) – Overview
- This Asana Digest covers: Bhujangasana, Niralamba Bhujangasana, Salamba Bhujangasana, Salabhasana, Ardha Salabhasana / Prone Leg Lifts and Vimanasana (Viniyoga Leg Vinyasa)
Sanskrit & Naming
“bhujanga” = cobra
- Niralamba Bhujangasana
“niralamba” = unsupported
Unsupported Cobra Pose
- Salamba Bhujangasana
“salamba” = supported
Supported Cobra Pose
Also known as: Sphinx Pose
“salabha” = locust
Heart of Poses
- These backbends are accessible with widely useful benefits.
- These poses are beneficial for strengthening spinal muscles and preparing for other backbends such as Ustrasana (Camel Pose), Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose), Dhanurasana (Bow Pose) and Urdhva Dhanurasana (Wheel / Upward Facing Bow Pose).
- When practicing versions of Salabhasana that include shoulder extension, the pose also helps to prepare for Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand).
- These poses offer more strength-building than some backbends because there isn’t a linking of upper and lower body to gain leverage.
- These poses tend to appear easier than they are. New students need instruction in subtleties including moving their focus from the lumbar spine to the entire length of the spine.
- See Cautions regarding low back and straining.
Much More in this Digest
- Please select from the Quick Menu above.
- Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog Pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- Asana Categories
- General Alignment Principles
- Alignment Cueing
- Would you prefer to have an off-line version of this content for personal review and study? We offer downloadable and printable PDFs. Choose from over 250 topics here.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.