Meditation Seats – Overview
- Sukhasana (Easy Posture),
- Siddhasana (Accomplished Pose),
- Virasana (Hero’s Pose),
- Padmasana (Lotus Posture)
- Related pose, Baddha Padmasana (Bound Lotus Posture)
Sanskrit & Naming
“sukha” = easy, comfortable
“svastik” = auspicious
“siddis” = psychic powers
“vajra” = thunderbolt or diamond
Also known as: Diamond Pose
“vira” = a hero
“padma” = lotus
Heart of Poses
- Meditation Seat
- The priority in meditation seats is keeping the natural spinal curves intact.
- The majority of sources that use the name Swastikasana (Auspicious Pose) are Iyengar practitioners, referring to a Cross Legged Seat (also called Sukhasana).
- A few sources use the name Swastikasana to refer to the poses Siddhasana (Accomplished Pose) or Padmasana (Lotus Pose).
- Sukhasana (Easy Pose) may be referred to as a variation of Swastikasana as in this video
- See Cautions in menu above for ankles, knees, rounding low back.
Much More in this Digest
- Please select from the menu above.
Welcome! You have found content within the Members Only section of Yoga Teacher Central.
Our Teacher Memberships and Trainer Memberships provide instant access to our exceptional collection of expert support, including more than 1,000 pages of inspirational and practical yoga teaching tools.
All memberships include the Class Builder, a structured process to create, save, edit and print comprehensive classes in less than ten minutes!
Rates as low as $14/month.