Dhanurasana (Bow) – Overview
- Features: Dhanurasana (Bow), and related poses such as Ardha Dhanurasana (Half Bow) and Parsva Dhanurasana (Side Bow)
- Objective: Become knowledgeable about the pose and review detailed teaching considerations.
- Description: Explain the Sanskrit naming; contraindications and cautions; associated benefits and typical effects; instructions and cues for setting up and practicing the pose; variations to meet particular intentions and needs; and more teaching considerations.
“dhanu” = bow
In Bikram Hot Yoga, called Floor Bow Pose
Heart of Pose
- Chest Opener
- Back strengthener
- Considered a relatively intense stretch of front body & spine, calling for warm-up beforehand
- Salabhasana (Locust) & Bhujangasana (Cobra) often used as preparation or part of backbending series
- Known for countering rounded shoulders
- See Cautions regarding low back, knees & neck
Much More in this Digest
- Asana Digests are precisely organized so that you can quickly get what you need. Please select from the menu above.
To view this page and thousands more, we invite you to join Yoga Teacher Central, serving teachers since 2012.
You'll get instant access to a massive, organized library of practical and time-tested lessons, plans, and support for yoga teachers and trainers.
The entire site is member-supported and ad-free.